Three-day pause offers breathing room for North American food and beverage trade as negotiations continue.

USA – The US has temporarily delayed the introduction of 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods, including alcohol and dairy products, after President Donald Trump said the two countries had reached a preliminary agreement.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said he had “paused the 50% Tariffs against Canada” that were due to take effect, describing the delay as a three-day period while the two sides finalise the details of the agreement.
The tariffs had been scheduled to take effect following a White House announcement last month, with the US administration citing what it described as Canada’s discriminatory treatment of American products.
Alcohol and dairy among affected products
The proposed measures would have placed significant pressure on cross-border trade in food and beverage products, covering spirits, wine, beer and cider, as well as dairy products including milk, cream, dried whey and whey protein concentrates.
For beverage manufacturers and ingredient suppliers, the proposed duties highlighted the vulnerability of highly integrated North American supply chains, where producers, distributors and retailers frequently rely on cross-border movement of ingredients and finished products.
The dairy sector could have faced particular disruption because whey and whey protein concentrates are widely used as functional and nutritional ingredients in food and beverage manufacturing, including sports nutrition, bakery, confectionery and processed foods.
The US spirits industry has welcomed the temporary pause while calling for a longer-term settlement.
Chris Swonger, president and CEO of the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS), said the organisation appreciated the administration’s efforts to restore access for American spirits products in Canada.
According to Swonger, provincial restrictions on US spirits have contributed to a more than 70% decline in American spirits exports to Canada, leaving distillers caught between the wider trade dispute and restrictions affecting market access.
“As discussions continue over the next few days, we encourage leaders on both sides of the border to reach a negotiated solution that gets American spirits back on retail shelves in all Canadian provinces and returns the spirits sector to a zero-for-zero tariff framework,” he said.
The dispute comes at a sensitive time for North American food and beverage manufacturers, which continue to manage higher input costs, changing trade policies and increasingly complex sourcing networks.
The proposed tariffs, announced on July 20 under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, were justified by the US administration on the grounds that Canada “unreasonably burdens and disadvantages US alcoholic beverages” compared with products from other countries.
Trump also suggested that the Keystone XL Pipeline, previously cancelled under former President Joe Biden, could potentially be revived, although no details were provided.
For the food and beverage industry, the three-day pause provides temporary relief but leaves manufacturers and exporters facing continued uncertainty.
A negotiated agreement that removes or reduces the proposed tariffs could help restore predictable trading conditions for alcohol, dairy and food ingredient suppliers operating across the US-Canada border.
Sign up HERE to receive our email newsletters with the latest news and insights from Africa and around the world, and follow us on our WhatsApp channel for updates.